The term “quick turn” refers to PCBs that can be assembled and fabricated quickly. In the business of quick-turn flex circuits, this implies more productivity and supplies capabilities of a manufacturer. It also suggests they can successfully deliver bulk supplies on time with high-precision PCBs.
The Rigid And The Flexible
When you refer to PCBs, there is a reference to the conventional rigid PCB and the more innovative version, which is a flexible PCB.
- The rigid PCB is the conventional example of a rigid circuit board. It is a solid structured PCB that is not bendable or flexible.
- The rigid PCB comes with several layers. It comprises a substrate level, a copper level, a solder mask level, and a silkscreen level. These are bound by the use of adhesive and heat.
- Just as the name suggests, the flexible PCB is a bendable and flexible circuit board.
- The flex PCB comprises a metallic layer which is usually copper bound to a dielectric level which is usually polyimide.
- Due to the flexibility of their structure, the flex PCB can be folded and used suitably for high-end applications.
What Is The Rigid-Flex PCB
It is commonplace for a rigid-flex PCB manufacturer to have a profitable business when they are engaged in manufacturing a hybrid PCB. It is an ideal combination that brings together the best features of the rigid and flexible PCB.
- 3D applications make rigid-flex PCBs easy to store and preserve.
- The hybrid form of the PCB minimizes the use of connectors and joints among the rigid parts. It subsequently reduces the board and system weight.
- The number of parts on this board is reduced considerably.
- The absence of soldering has increased connection efficiency and reliability.
- The PCB assembly process has been simplified in the hybrid board.
- The assembling handling is easier in the rigid-flex PCB.
- The integrated ZIF contacts have enabled a simpler form of modular interface.
The rigid-flex PCB has considerably simplified test conditions and enabled a full test before installation. The hybrid board has also reduced the costs of production for manufacturing companies and brought about a quick turn.